Sunday, October 22, 2017

Small Fixes Made Tenants Happy

We are self-managing our properties in Barrie.

We used to have a really great handyman, but he retired in Summer. Not much luck finding a new handyman so far.

In the meantime, when issues come up, I do my best to asses and see if it’s something my husband can fix quickly. If not, I hire a sub-contractor. 

Here are some examples of what we fixed this weekend.
  • Tenant let us know that the hood above the stove stopped working. I got a new one to replace it. When my husband went to install the new hood, it turned out that the one I got was 32’ but the old one was 24’. I am a la-la... Luckily, my husband was able to figure out how to get the old one to work - he taped a lose part (yay!). Cost: $2 

  • Washer broke at one of the places :(. Knowing that the washer is less than a year old, I asked my husband to take a look hoping the issue would be minor. It turned out that the washer jumped off of the board that it’s sitting on, so water was splashing out during spin cycle. My husband re-mounted the washer and put a couple of boards around to hold it in place. Cost: $0

  • Another tenant checked her electric baseboard heaters and told us that two heaters weren’t working on the main floor. This was expected since the heaters were original and about 50 years old. We replaced both with new efficient ones. Cost: $100

As you see, we were quite lucky and the cost of materials was not significant. However, even little things add up and this took a good chunk of our time this weekend. I will do my best to find a new handyman we can trust ASAP. 

On the way back home now. Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment